Every season has its challenges when it comes to your workout plans, but summertime is unique in that the combination of heat and humidity provides a unique set of circumstances that you will need to overcome.
Here are some tips for you to ensure you don’t lose the momentum you’ve gained over the past few months in reaching your health and fitness goals.
- Avoid Caffeine. I know that sounds strange, but think about it for a moment. Caffeine is a diuretic that forces water out of your body. That is the last thing you need when the weather outside is doing the same thing to you. If you have trouble completely cutting it out of your daily routine, make sure you wait for several hours after you workout to ensure you do not become dehydrated.
- Increase your water intake. This should be a no-brainer. The heat and humidity of summer signals your body to lose more water per hour than any other season. Drink plenty of water before, during and after training to decrease the possibility of dehydration and any ill effects from extreme heat.
- Take breaks. It is quite likely that you will need to take more breaks for you to keep performing at your best. Don’t overdo it.
- Wear summer-appropriate workout clothes. Find clothes that will wick the sweat away from your body to allow it to evaporate quickly.
- Train anytime of the day in the gym where it’s cool and workout outside early or late. A mid-day lunch break jog should be reallocated to a different time of day. If you’re partial to exercising outside, take into account the daily temperatures. Working out earlier in the mornings or later at night should be your new go-to in order to avoid the hottest parts of the day. If you’re able, moving your workouts indoors may provide the best of both worlds. You can stick to whatever schedule you like and you’ll also be held accountable for your fitness routines.
Summer doesn’t have to mean a hiatus for your workout routine. Take these summer workout tips into account to keep up your progress toward your goals!
Not a member of Actualize Sports & Fitness?
Are you adult who is interested in transforming your health and fitness? Check out two entry level offerings at Actualize Fitness!
Are you a competitive athlete who wants to increase performance while decreasing the likelihood of injury? Click below to learn more about Actualize Sports!
Actualize Sports & Fitness is North Central Washington’s premier performance enhancement training, health and nutrition, and mental achievement coaching center. We exist to educate, encourage and empower Actualize Sports (competitive athletes, teams & coaches) & Actualize Fitness (fitness enthusiasts of all ages & abilities) clients to actualize their unique purpose and potential in athletics, fitness and life.
Actualize Your Purpose & Potential